Sunday, January 8, 2012

Not From a Jar

I grew up eating Ragu and Prego spaghetti sauces from a jar.  I thought that was the only way you could make spaghetti!  I still go for the jar every now and again.  There is something comforting about that thick red sauce and it's oh so easy to make.  When I do though it's no longer Ragu or Prego but Paul Newman or Barilla.  Being in an Italian family though you quickly learn that sauce out of a jar is a huge no-no.  Sorry Italian family but I still love the jar stuff.  But I have also learned to make my own sauce and it's very tasty.
The non-jar sauce that I make is super easy and it always tastes delicious.  It just takes a little extra time on the stove so be sure to plan for that.
I usually go vegetarian with the sauce but once in a while I add in some ground sirloin.  The picture below is with the sirloin.

2 cans of diced tomatoes
Fresh Garlic
2 tbsp of olive oil (or more is you prefer)
Seasonings to taste (I use fresh basil if I have it; otherwise, Italian seasoning works great.  Also some salt and pepper).

Put the 2 cans of diced tomatoes into a saucepan.  Add the 2 tbsp of olive oil.  Saute the garlic in a small frying pan and then add it to your tomatoes.  Add any seasonings that you choose.  Use a mashing tool and turn some of the tomatoes into more of a liquid.  Simmer this "sauce" on the stove for at least 30 minutes but an hour would be even better.

Cook your choice of pasta (I love Barilla) until it is al dente and then drain it.  Do NOT rinse off the pasta!  The starch on the pasta is what helps your sauce to stick to it! 

You can either toss the pasta with the sauce or spoon the sauce on top of the pasta.  Depends on your preference.  I like both ways.  Sprinkle with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment