Friday, April 6, 2012

Tomatillo Sauce


I'm a big fan of green sauces.  If something says "verde" or "tomatillo", I will probably like it.  For some reason I have always been intimidated by the tomatillo.  So I decided to just take the plunge and buy some.  I roasted them in the oven on a baking sheet and using my blender, turned the funny little green things into an amazing sauce.  I will no longer be buying the green enchilada sauce on the grocery shelf!  Super easy to do...

Ingredients

1 dozen tomatillos
1 jalapeno pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 small lemon or lime
Cayenne Pepper
Salt
Pepper
Cilantro
1 small-medium white onion
honey
olive oil (about 1/4 cup + some for roasting)
water

Step 1: Roast Tomatillos and Jalapeno Pepper
Peel off the husks and remove the stems.  Put them in a big bowl and toss them with Olive Oil and seasonings.  I use a little cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, Simmie J (a good spicy seasoning that I love), salt, and pepper.  Place them on a baking sheet and roast in the oven @ 375 for about 20 minutes.  They will get real soft and be starting to split open. 

Step 2: Blend it up
Put the roasted tomatillos in your blender (while they are hot is just fine) along with white onion, handful of cilantro, 1/2 of the Jalapeno (for mild) or the whole Jalapeno (for spicier), garlic cloves, the juice of one small lemon or lime, and salt and pepper to taste.  Blend it up.  It will be quite thick.  As you are blending, slowly pour the olive oil in.  Then add the honey.  The honey is important as it really balances out the flavors.  I use maybe 2 tablespoons, more or less depending on your tastes.  Then add water according to how thick you want it to be.

Use it as your enchilada sauce.  If you are in Cooking 101 and have never made enchiladas, just let me know and I will give you a recipe and easy instructions!

You can also use this as a dipping sauce with corn chips or as a salsa for chicken tacos, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment